History behind Veterans Day

Our Scavenger Hunt theme this week is Veterans. Being that it was Veterans Day yesterday, this seems appropriate. I, like most people have had family members in the military. My Dad and Uncle were both in the Navy and I have another Uncle in Colorado that was in the Air Force. But do we really know how Veterans Day began? I do now.

Many people believe that Veterans Day is the day America honors military people who have died serving their country, but this is not the case. Veterans Day was established to honor ALL American Veterans, both living and dead. It is a day that America says thank you for all the sacrifices they have made in their lives to keep our country free.

Veterans Day started out as Armistice Day. On November 11th, 1918 ceremonies took place to celebrate the ending of World War I. To commemorate the end of the War, an "unknown soldier" was buried in England at Westminster Abbey and in France at the Arc de Triomphe. In 1921, the United States followed France and England by laying the rest of the remains of a World War I unknown soldier on a Virginia hillside overlooking the Potomac River and Washington DC. This site later became known as the "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier."

In 1954, President Eisenhower signed a bill proclaiming November 11 as Veterans Day. In 1968, Congress passed legislation to move Veterans Day to the fourth Monday in October, but due to the significance of the historic November 11th date, the legislation was reversed and it was subsequently returned the holiday to the original date.

On my scavenger hunt, I found this Battleship New Jersey Lapel pin.
Battleship New Jersey Lapel Pin
It has the Stars and Stripes background and a silhouette of a ship on top. I like this item not only because it represents military memorabilia, but because it is Vintage, and I love Vintage.  This item can be found over at the Eccentric Thrifter. where you can find other every day items as well as Vintage. Stop by and take a look if you have a moment.

1 comment:

  1. Very nicely written and it is wonderful that you acknowledged this on your blog. I just wrote a few sentences on my own blog and had tears streaming down my face. Don[t think I could have done a few paragraphs. It is so important to honour those individuals who have sacrificed their lives and those who continue to stand up to keep us safe. It doesn't matter what country we live in or whether we call it Remembrance Day (Canada) or Veterans Day (US). What matters is that we never forget the sacrifices of these individuals. Thank you for sharing this.

    Lisa D.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Challeng Winners - February & March 2023

   Hello everyone. As you may have noticed, I have been MIA for the last couple of months. Life has been very busy and it has been difficult...